Assessment Task Instructions as provided to students
Complete the following activities:
1. Develop a work goals and plans report.
Choose a company that you would be interested in working for, as well as a job role within that company. The role you choose should be at a managerial level, such as a Marketing Manager or Human Resources Manager.
Research and access information relating to the company, including the company’s web site and a position description for the role that you are interested in within the company. Your assessor can provide you with assistance in identifying this information if you are having difficulty accessing such information.
Review the company’s web site and the position description for the role you have chosen. For the position that you have identified, consider what your work goals and plans for 12 months would be if you were in that position. Note down at least five work goals for the job role. Your goals must be SMART goals and must address both personal work goals, as well as overall work goals for the roles based on the position requirements
Develop a short report about the business you have identified and the work goals you have identified that includes:
• An overview of the business that you have chosen, including the purpose of the business and where it is located.
• An overview of the company’s goals and objectives as identified from the web site/position descriptions.
• An overview of the position description for the job role you are interested in. Explain why you are interested in the job role and describe the key responsibilities of the job role.
• An outline of the five personal work goals that you have identified for the position, including why these goals are relevant to the company’s goals and objectives, as well as to the job role and how these are suitable goals for a 12-month period. Please note, at least one of these goals must be relevant to your communication skills. Conduct an analysis of the strengths and weaknesses of your own interpersonal skills and set a goal that will improve this area.
2. Develop a professional development plan for the next 12 months.
Research and review at least four professional development opportunities that would be relevant to the role that you have chosen and that relate to the work goals you have identified in activity one.
Use the Professional Development Plan Template to guide you with your response to this activity.
Assume that the organisation allocates a budget of $1,500 per year per staff member for professional development, so your decisions on professional development opportunities should be based on this. Also identify at least three free professional development opportunities that can be completed easily on your own or with some of your class members, for example, participating in webinars or engaging on Linked In forums, watching TED Talks together or some other suitable activities. You will be required to participate in these opportunities and provide a report on it.
Complete the professional development plan with the details of at least four professional development/networking opportunities that could be attended by someone in this job role over the next 12 months.
You will be required to include a brief description of each professional development opportunity, costs and location and date/s as applicable.
3. Participate in regular professional development opportunities.
Participate in the three professional development opportunities you identified above. This will have to occur over a period of time so you will need to discuss with your assessor a timeline to complete the activities and when the due date will be.
Complete all sections of the Professional Development Report Template.
Each question in the report should be answered in approximately one paragraph.
4. Send an email to your assessor.
The text of the email should be in grammatically correct English, written in an appropriate (polite, business-like) style.
It should introduce and summarise the contents of the attachments.
Attach the following to the email:
• your work goals and plans report
• professional development plan
• professional development report