Student Number: (enter on the line below)
Student Name: (enter on the line below)
COMPARATIVE BUSINESS ETHICS AND SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY
TRIMESTER 1, 2021
Assessment Weight: 50 total marks
• All questions must be answered by using the answer boxes provided in this paper.
• Completed answers must be submitted to Blackboard by the published due date and time.
Submission instructions are at the end of this paper.
This assessment consists of six (6) questions and is designed to assess your level of knowledge of the key topics covered in this unit
Students who cite a minimum of 12 peer-reviewed academic articles (in total) in the text to support their assertions, and list all references appropriately at the end of the report using Harvard referencing style may receive higher marks than those who do not cite relevant materials. References provided must follow ‘Reference Requirements’ detailed on page 3-4.
Question 1 ( 7 marks)
How can corporations measure the impact of a corporate social responsibility (CSR) initiative? Analyse how ethics contributes to employee commitment and customer satisfaction. Support your claims/arguments with key research findings. (Answer this question in 300 words).
ANSWER: ** Answer box will enlarge as you type
Question 2 (7 marks)
What are normative business ethics, and how can their application enable a business to create an ethical atmosphere? Discuss your opinion and support your claims/arguments with key research findings. (Answer this question in 300 words).
Question 3 (11 marks)
Explain your opinion as to whether a crime can ever be overlooked because the offending act was for the greater good of others. Provide an example of when this might be the case, following a philosophical perspective. Support your claims/arguments with key research findings. (Answer this question in 300 words).
Question 4 (11 marks)
What happens if an employee refuses to take a drug test at work? Does it matter if the test is for marijuana in a state where marijuana use is legal? Discuss your opinion and support your claims/arguments with key research findings. (Answer this question in 300 words).
Question 5 (7 marks)
How does utilitarianism apply in business, and does this secure an ethical outcome? Discuss your opinion and support your claims/arguments with key research findings. (Answer this question in 300 words).
Question 6 (7 marks)
Analyse the ethical pros and cons related to overseas manufacturing for a company such as Nike. Support your claims/arguments with key research findings. (Answer this question in 300 words).
END OF FINAL ASSESSMENT
• Save submission with your STUDENT ID NUMBER and UNIT CODE e.g. EMV54897 HC2121
• Submission must be in MICROSOFT WORD FORMAT ONLY
• Upload your submission to the appropriate link on Blackboard
• Only one submission is accepted. Please ensure your submission is the correct document.
• All submissions are automatically passed through SafeAssign to assess academic integrity.
Assessment Design – Adapted Harvard Referencing
Holmes will be implementing as a pilot program a revised Harvard approach to referencing. The following guidelines apply:
1. Reference sources in assignments are limited to sources which provide full text access to the source’s content for lecturers and markers.
2. The Reference list should be located on a separate page at the end of the essay and titled: References.
3. It should include the details of all the in-text citations, arranged alphabetically A-Z by author surname. In addition, it MUST include a hyperlink to the full text of the cited reference source.
P Hawking, B McCarthy, A Stein (2004), Second Wave ERP Education, Journal of Information Systems Education, Fall, http://jise.org/Volume15/n3/JISEv15n3p327.pdf
4. All assignments will require additional in-text reference details which will consist of the surname of the author/authors or name of the authoring body, year of publication, page number of content, paragraph where the content can be found.
“The company decided to implement a enterprise wide data warehouse business intelligence strategies (Hawking et al, 2004, p3(4)).”
Non-Adherence to Referencing Guidelines
Where students do not follow the above guidelines:
1. Students who submit assignments which do not comply with the guidelines will be asked to resubmit their assignments.
2. Late penalties will apply, as per the Student Handbook each day, after the student/s have been notified of the resubmission requirements.
3. Students who comply with guidelines and the citations are “fake” will be reported for academic misconduct.