Assessment 3: Written Essay • Counselling Theory and Case Study Application (30%) Due Date: Sunday of Week 11 at 1159pm AEST Word Count: 1800 - 2000 words
A written essay incorporating a case study and relevant theories in counselling covered during the Trimester
Throughout this Trimester, students have learned about various counselling theories, namely:
Solution focused therapy (including brief interventions) Person-Centred therapy
Cognitive behaviour therapy Family Systems theory
Acceptance and Commitment Therapy
You are required to select ONE case study from a list to be provided during the trimester and then choose TWO of the counselling theories that you believe will be appropriate to assist the dient(s) discussed in the chosen case study.
Your task is to apply each counselling theory, whilst comparing and contrasting the different ways in which each theory could be applied in an effort to help your client(s) with his/her/their problem:
Your answer must include the following:
1. Identification of the historical origins and evolution of BOTH of your chosen theories
2. Details about the typical counsellor/client relationship and any other elements of the chosen theories.
3. Application of. comparison and contrast between the two chosen theories
4. An outline of any ethical/legal issues to be considered.
5. An explanation of how you would use each of the TWO counselling techniques to assist your client - make sure to compare and contrast different needs of each theory in relation to techniques.
6. A suggestion of a possible outcome for the client if the counselling is helpful.
7. You may also suggest the number of sessions or any other requirements needed for the counselling to go ahead as planned, again comparing, and contrasting the TWO theories.
8. A final statement that outlines which of the two theories would best suit the client’s needs, based on your analysis.
Your written report should include at least 8 peer reviewed research articles read, in addition to any textbook references. The artides must be from 2010 or be more recent. Do NOT use older material- find current peer reviewed, academic literature which explores, expands or adapts older articles
201P a l- c
Your report should also include an introduction, body and summary in a flowing text Do not use separate headings. Use APA 7 style referencing, Arial or Times New Roman or Calibri font site 12, and double spaced. A BCS cover sheet must be attached and correctly completed including accurate word count
Do NOT utilize sources such as www tutor2u.com and other such web materials as these in no way constitute academic references for the purpose of your assignmenu. If you rely on such sources for theoretical support you will be deemed NOT to have met the requirements of the assessment
Criteria for Report Weight 100% Areas to be covered HD 0 C P F
Analysis of topic 25% - Evidence of understanding of chosen theories - Analysis of reasons for choosing the counseling theories in relation to the chosen case study
Conclusions demred from analysis and assessment of the topk iUX - Soundconclusionsarereachcdfromthecvsdenceoffered - Student presents their own substantiated interpretation of the literature - Sound ever al understanding al the literature is demonstrated - Demonstrated smderstandmgs of details relatmg to the case study and sound application of counselling theory and techniques - Identification and exploration of ethical/legal issues
Us* and depth of nr*«h 25% - Effective use of current (from 2010 onwards) academic peer renewed sources that relate directly to the topic or case study - AD sources of information (m text citations and separate reference list) are acknowledged and presented correctly in APA 7 style
Presentation 20% - Overall structure demonstrates continuity, clarity of words, concepts and thematic development from beginning to end - Includes statement of purpose, introduction. body, conclusion and reflection in essay style with no headings - Either Aral or Times New Roman or Cahbn font site 12 is used and essay is double spaced - A correctly completed cover sheet is attached
TOT Al fwa