Assessment Tasks and Instructions
Course and Code
Unit(s) of Competency and Code(s) SITXCCS008 Develop and manage quality customer service practices
Assessment for this Unit of Competency/Cluster Details
Assessment 1 Short Answer Questions
Assessment 2 Case Study & Policy development
Assessment 3 Observations
Assessment conducted in this instance: Assessment 1 0 2 1 3 0
1. Has reasonable adjustment been applied to this assessment?
No 0 No further information required
Yes 0 Complete 2.
2. Provide details for the requirements and provisions for adjustment of assessment:
Student to complete
My assessor has discussed the adjustments with me
I agree to the adjustments applied to this assessment
2nd Assessor to complete
I agree the adjustments applied to this assessment are reasonable
What will be assessed
The purpose of this assessment is to assess your ability to complete tasks outlined in elements and
performance criteria of this unit in the context of the job role, and:
• research and develop customer service policies and procedures for at least three different areas of the business that meet industry standards
• implement and monitor practices for quality customer service in line with above policies and procedures over four service periods
• evaluate practices for quality service provision and identify any failings
• review policies and procedures, adjust as necessary, and communicate any new practices to staff.
Place/Location where assessment will be conducted
RTO to complete
Pen, Paper, computer with access to internet
weblink access to:
Instructions for assessment including WHS requirements
You are required to read through the case study and address all questions to achieve competence. Your trainer will provide you with instructions for time frames and dates to complete this assessment.
Once completed, carefully read the responses you have provided and check for completeness. Your trainer will provide you with feedback and the result you have achieved.
Statement of Authenticity
I acknowledge that I understand the requirements to complete the assessment tasks
The assessment process including the provisions for re-submitting and academic appeals were explained to me and I understand these processes
I understand the consequences of plagiarism and confirm that this is my own work and I have acknowledged or referenced all sources of information I have used for the purpose of this assessment
Student Signature: Date: / /201
This assessment: First Attempt 0
2nd Attempt 0
Extension 0 – Date: / /
RESULT OF ASSESSMENT Satisfactory 0 Not Yet Satisfactory 0
Feedback to Student:
Assessor(s) Signature(s): Date: / /
Student Signature Date: / /
Mr and Mrs Jones were looking forward to celebrating their 5th wedding anniversary in style and had great plans for their special evening. Mr Jones decided to book a table for two for dinner at the recently refurbished “Cape Lighthouse”, a restaurant with commanding views over the Coral Sea. To ensure a nice table with views for this occasion, Mr Jones had contacted the restaurant 2 months prior to make a reservation with a male staff member who appeared to be very professional. The booking was then confirmed by telephone with Alex, a waitress, 1 week prior to the booked date.
On their anniversary Mr and Mrs Jones arrived at the restaurant; however they found there was no booking in their name. Staff were unable to locate any booking information. Mr Jones was asked whom he had spoken to, to make the reservation and provided the details of staff; however this was somehow shrugged off and they were asked to wait at the entry to “see whether a table could be arranged”.
As it was a Friday night the restaurant was very busy. Mr and Mrs Jones had to wait 15 minutes before they finally were led to a small table the back of the restaurant near the kitchen doors.
After a further 15 minutes they were attended to by a drink waiter who took their order for an aperitif. The Joneses placed their food and wine order and their entrees arrived after 30 minutes. The white wine to go with the entrees did not arrive and the drinks waiter seemed to ignore their eye contact.
The main course for Mr Jones arrived within 5 minutes after the entrees had been cleared, however Mrs Jones’ meal did not arrive for another 20 minutes.
Mrs Jones was very upset with the service and was almost on the verge of leaving.
When Mr and Mrs Jones went to pay the cheque on their way out, Mrs Jones was expecting an apology from the restaurant staff with regards to their booking and the delay in the service, unfortunately no one was around even to talk about it.
Mr and Mrs Jones decided that this was the last visit ever at this establishment. They definitely would tell their family and friends about their dining experience at “Cape Lighthouse”.
Your task: Address each of the following questions relating to the case study.
1. Identify Mr and Mrs Jones’ customer needs and expectations in this case study. What would a customer expect not only on an important occasion like the mentioned anniversary but on each occasion when visiting an establishment?
2. What could be the likely effects of this incident for the business and custom down the track if the customer service issues are not addressed?
3. You are the General Manager of the Cape Lighthouse and the experience of Mr and Mrs Jones has come to your attention.
You are determined to make contact with the customer to attempt to resolve the issue and achieve a positive outcome. Draft a letter which clearly outlines the steps you will undertake to contact Mr and Mrs Jones and how you will try to solve the issues. (This could be used as guidance for a telephone conversation for contact).
4. Considering Mr and Mrs Jones’ recent experience, it is important to assess if there are recurring issues with customer service at the Cape Lighthouse. How will you determine if this is a one-off issue or if there are persistent problems? Outline your approach.
5. You are required to develop a policy and procedures for each of the following problem areas which were evident:
b. Staff Presentation / Greeting / Hosting
c. Reporting requirements / staff hierarchy (General Responsibilities and who is to be contacted in case of an issue – if your industry sector varies [events, cookery, tourism, accommodation] you may use the hierarchy which is commonly relevant to that industry sector)
d. Customer Service Procedures for Service (Orders, timelines, attendance)
e. Dealing with complaints
Each policy needs to include:
o The policy name
o The aim or purpose
o The details of what is included
o The procedures included to achieve the purpose
o What are the requirements to train staff to be able to perform the procedures?
o How will this policy and its effectiveness be monitored and evaluated?
o To whom will this policy be made available? How?