Submission Deadline Marks and Feedback
Before 10am on:
Week 3 Friday 14 Oct 2022 20 working days after deadline (L4, 5 and 7)
15 working days after deadline (L6)
10 working days after deadline (block delivery)
31 Oct 2022
Unit title & code BSS064-6 Leading and Managing Organisational Resources
Assignment number and title Assignment 1 ePortfolio
Assignment type CW-ePO
Weighting of assignment 40%
Size or length of assessment 2400 words equivalence
Unit learning outcomes On completion of this unit you should be able to:
1 Demonstrate the following knowledge and understanding
• Demonstrate a systematic understanding and critical appreciation of the integration between leadership, operations management in the context of contemporary work organisations and how the funding and operations of these functions can impact on the reported financial performance.
2 Demonstrate the following skills and abilities
• Critically evaluate and synthesise theories and models in practice to improve performance through effective leadership, operations management and financial analysis to inform decision making
What am I required to do in this assignment?
You are required to compile an e-Portfolio over the 6-week block, which is an online representation of your academic and professional accomplishments and achievements. It is a great way to keep all your learning and assessment in one place to highlight your abilities and capabilities as a professional and to demonstrate your achievement of the learning outcomes for the unit.
You will build an e-portfolio throughout the unit with a mandatory summative assessment in week 3 using following assessment type:
• Professional emails (2400 words) which address the topics covered in Week 1 and week 2
Weekly session outlines and provides details of the task that you need to address. The e-portfolio must address the topics and activities specified in Weeks 1 and 2.
What do I need to do to pass? (Threshold Expectations from UIF)
In order to pass the assessment, you will need to:
• Demonstrate adequate knowledge and understanding of the challenges and opportunities in integrating leadership, operations and financial management and the contribution of information systems to decision making as appropriate.
• Apply theories, models and frameworks to adequately analyse in-depth their relevance to support decision making and improve performance.
• Adequately evaluate complex cases through the application of relevant theories and models of leadership, operations and financial management to synthesise resource capability, add value and optimise organisational performance
• Demonstrate adequate knowledge, skills, abilities, and approaches to orchestrate the effective utilisation of organisational resources, systems and processes.
How do I produce high quality work that merits a good grade?
We will be filling this section in together in class on Click or tap to enter a date. make sure you have downloaded/printed out the Assignment Brief and bring it to the session with you.
Here are some of the requirements we will be discussing in the assignment workshops:
• You need to complete the guided learning to develop your understanding of influential contributors
• You need to extend this through independent research using quality academic and practitioner sources
• You will apply theory in practice for critical, in-depth analysis in the context of the allocated live project and case study
• Consider what are the main conclusions derived from in-depth analysis?
• Make feasible recommendations that are directly actionable
• You must use in-text citations throughout to acknowledge others’ ideas in support of your critical analysis
• You must use the Harvard style of referencing.
• A random sample of students will be called to attend a viva voce to check the authenticity of their work
How does this assignment relate to what we are doing in scheduled sessions?
A flipped classroom approach is used to allow practical application in scheduled workshops. It is essential that you complete the guided learning detailed in the unit study guide in advance of the scheduled classes.
In scheduled sessions you will participate in discussions of the ‘hot topic(s)’ specified in the context of a live consultancy project(s) or in the context of contemporary case studies. Group discussions guided by the teaching team will support your understanding of the integration of theory and practice in relation to leadership, operations and information systems including a consideration of how these might impact financial statements. In this way you will develop an understanding and critical appreciation of how the integration of theory and practice in context supports problem solving and decision making to improve performance in real life organizations. In this way you will demonstrate the knowledge, skills, abilities and approaches to orchestrate the effective utilization of organizational resources, systems and processes.
How will my assignment be marked?
Your assignment will be marked according to the threshold expectations and the criteria on the following page.
You can use them to evaluate your own work and consider your grade before you submit.
Pass – 40-49% Pass – 50-59% Commendation – 60-69% Distinction– 70%+
Applies some Applies a good range of Applies most theories, Applies major theories, theories, models and theories, models and models and frameworks models and frameworks frameworks drawing frameworks drawing on drawing on published drawing on published on published published academic and academic and practitioner academic and practitioner academic and practitioner sources sources introduced. sources introduced. practitioner sources introduced but with limited Good evidence of Substantial evidence of introduced. evidence of wider reading. independent reading using independent reading using appropriate quality appropriate quality publications. publications.
In-depth analysis in In-depth critical analysis in In-depth critical analysis in In-depth critical analysis in context of leadership, context of leadership, context of leadership, context of leadership, operations and operations and information operations and information operations and information information systems systems and their impact on systems and their impact on systems and their impact on and how they impact financial statements. financial statements. financial statements. financial statements, Demonstrates a good Informed by a very good Informed by an excellent informed by some understanding and practical range of relevant quality range of relevant quality relevant sources. awareness of challenges and academic and practitioner academic and practitioner
Demonstrates opportunities in integrating sources. sources
adequate knowledge theory and practice, Demonstrates a very good Demonstrates an excellent and understanding of informed by a good range of understanding and practical understanding and practical challenges and relevant quality academic awareness of challenges and awareness of challenges and opportunities in and practitioner sources. opportunities in integrating opportunities in integrating integrating theory theory and practice. Less in- theory and practice. and practice. depth than for an A grade.
Conclusions are not Conclusions are mainly Conclusions are clearly Conclusions are valid and clearly derived from derived from analysis derived from in-depth clearly derived from in-depth analysis. Validity of through application of analysis through application analysis and reflection conclusions is theoretical contributors. of most major theoretical drawing on application of unconvincing. Limited and not entirely contributors. Largely major theoretical
convincing. convincing contributions. Entirely
Recommendations (10%) Recommendations
are vague. Doubtful
feasibility Recommendations are
reasonably clear and mostly realistic Clear and appropriate recommendations. . Clear and appropriate recommendations.