Assessment Tasks and Instructions
Course and Code
Unit(s) of Competency and Code(s) SITHCCC002 Prepare simple dishes
Assessment for this Unit of Competency/Cluster Details
Assessment 1 Short answer questions
Assessment 2 Practical Observation
Assessment conducted in this instance: Assessment 1 1 2 0 3 0
1. Has reasonable adjustment been applied to this assessment?
No 0 No further information required
Yes 0 Complete 2.
2. Provide details for the requirements and provisions for adjustment of assessment:
Student to complete
My assessor has discussed the adjustments with me
I agree to the adjustments applied to this assessment
2nd Assessor to complete
I agree the adjustments applied to this assessment are reasonable
What will be assessed
The purpose of this assessment is to assess your knowledge required to complete the tasks outlined in elements and performance criteria of this unit:
• characteristics of the simple dishes described in the performance evidence
• basic cookery methods for simple dishes described in the performance evidence
• methods for presenting types of food described in the performance evidence
• food safety practices for preparing and storing ingredients and simple dishes:
o appropriate environmental conditions to ensure food safety
o correct processes for re-heating pre-prepared foods
o appropriate methods to optimise shelf life
• safe operational practices using essential functions and features of equipment used to prepare simple dishes.
Place/Location where assessment will be conducted
RTO to complete
Pen, paper, calculator
Instructions for assessment including WHS requirements
You are required to address each question in this assessment.
Once you have completed all questions, check all responses and calculations.
Your trainer will be providing you with feedback.
Statement of Authenticity
I acknowledge that I understand the requirements to complete the assessment tasks
The assessment process including the provisions for re-submitting and academic appeals were explained to me and I understand these processes
I understand the consequences of plagiarism and confirm that this is my own work and I have acknowledged or referenced all sources of information I have used for the purpose of this assessment
Student Signature: Date: / /201
This assessment: First Attempt 0
2nd Attempt 0
Extension 0 – Date: / /
RESULT OF ASSESSMENT Satisfactory 0 Not Yet Satisfactory 0
Feedback to Student:
Assessor(s) Signature(s): Date: / /
Student Signature Date: / /
Answer all questions below. Each question must be addressed to demonstrate competence.
1. List 4 dishes from the following food groups below and provide a description for each criteria listed in the table below:
Food group Dish/ menu example Description including ingredients, cookery method and garnish/ accompaniment
2. List 1 menu example for each of the following applications:
Application Menu example
cleaning, peeling and slicing raw food
3. List 5 safety aspects that must be considered and followed when using equipment for preparing simple dishes.
Safety aspects for the use of equipment
4. Provide a description for the principles and equipment used for the following cookery methods including one different menu example suitable for each method:
Cookery Method Description including equipment used Menu Example
Frying (deep and shallow)
5. The following recipe for a chef’s salad yields 2 Portions. Your chef has instructed you to prepare 50 Portions when you come in tomorrow morning. Answer the questions below:
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
50g Mixed lettuce
50mL French dressing
50g Cherry tomatoes
40g Roast chicken
a) You have 0.800 kg of cucumbers in your fridge. How much do you need to order to make 50 portions of salad?
b) How much French dressing will you require for 50 serves of chef’s salad?
6. The preparation steps for the chef’s salad list the following methods: Answer the questions below
1. Wash lettuce and tear into bite-sized pieces. Use a salad spinner to dry the leaves then refrigerate
2. Prepare the French dressing
3. Cut the cucumber in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Cut in half lengthwise and then slice thinly. Cut the tomatoes in quarters
4. Slice the cheese, ham and chicken into 2mm strips.
a) List all equipment you will need to prepare this salad following the preparation steps, including different containers to store each prepared product before assembly.
b) How do you need to prepare and set up your workspace to Work Health and Safety standards and to meet food safety requirements before you start preparation of this salad?
c) How should the commodities you have prepared stored before assembly for service, which is in 2 hours time?
7. You have received an order for 3 serves of Spaghetti Bolognaise. The pasta is pre-cooked in the coolroom from this morning and the Bolognaise sauce is also refrigerated. Explain the methods you can use to re-heat each, the pasta and the Bolognaise sauce to meet food safety requirements. (No use of a microwave permitted for this purpose).
Re-heating method and requirements for pasta Re-heating method and requirements for bolognaise
8. You are preparing 50 portions of lamb curry, 40 portions of bolognaise and 3 litres of French dressing for the mise en place for the next 3 days. Answer the following questions:
a) What are the requirements for cooling the cooked dishes to meet food safety requirements?
b) How could you use portion control measures for each of the dishes listed above top prevent wastage and make it easy for use during service instances?
c) Your chef has asked you to store all the foods you have prepared correctly to meet food safety standards. What do you need to do to meet these requirements?
9. You are serving lasagne and various curries and rice from a bain-marie on display to customers. What are the food safety aspects you need to ensure, to prevent food from contamination?
Food Safety aspects for food on display
10. Your chef tells you that each dish you prepare needs to be presented to organisational guidelines and recipe standards. List 5 examples of what this would typically include:
Guideline or Standard Example
11. The lunch service has been announced “finished”. Your work space has all the equipment and used and unused foods on benches and shelves. Explain the procedures for cleaning your workplace and storing and disposing of foods to ensure all food safety requirements are met in the area is clean to industry standards:
Storage of re-useable by-products Cleaning and sanitation (where? how?)