Assessment Tasks and Instructions
Course and Code
Unit(s) of Competency and Code(s) SITHCCC008 Prepare vegetable, fruit, egg and farinaceous dishes
Assessment for this Unit of Competency/Cluster Details
Assessment 1 Portfolio
Assessment 2 Practical Observation
Assessment conducted in this instance: Assessment 1 1 2 0 3 0
1. Has reasonable adjustment been applied to this assessment?
No 0 No further information required
Yes 0 Complete 2.
2. Provide details for the requirements and provisions for adjustment of assessment:
Student to complete
My assessor has discussed the adjustments with me
I agree to the adjustments applied to this assessment
2nd Assessor to complete
I agree the adjustments applied to this assessment are reasonable
What will be assessed
The purpose of this assessment is to assess your knowledge required to complete the tasks outlined in elements and performance criteria of this unit:
• culinary terms and trade names for ingredients used in standard recipes for vegetable, fruit, egg and farinaceous dishes, relating to:
o convenience products
o fresh products
• contents of stock date codes and rotation labels
• characteristics of different vegetable, fruit, egg and farinaceous dishes:
o appearance and presentation
o classical and contemporary variations
o freshness and other quality indicators
o nutritional value
o service style
• accompaniments and sauces for vegetable, fruit, egg and farinaceous dishes
• historical and cultural origin of different vegetable, fruit, egg and farinaceous dishes and products
• cookery methods for vegetable, fruit, egg and farinaceous dishes listed in the performance evidence
• health risks associated with raw egg products and alternative egg products
• culinary applications which use eggs as specified in the performance evidence
• mise en place requirements for vegetable, fruit, egg and farinaceous dishes
• appropriate environmental conditions for storing food products to:
o ensure food safety
o optimise shelf life
• safe operational practices using essential functions and features of equipment used to produce vegetable, fruit, egg and farinaceous dishes.
Place/Location where assessment will be conducted including timeframes
RTO to complete
Pen, paper, calculator, internet access, Recipes relevant for the unit of competency for example e-coach, SITHCCC008.
Instructions for assessment including WHS requirements
You are required to address each question in this assessment.
Once you have completed all questions, check all responses and calculations.
Your trainer will be providing you with feedback.
The seasonal factors and source to be used to gather information for the purpose of this portfolio, will be provided to you by your trainer as outlined on the following page for Assessment 1.
Statement of Authenticity
I acknowledge that I understand the requirements to complete the assessment tasks
The assessment process including the provisions for re-submitting and academic appeals were explained to me and I understand these processes
I understand the consequences of plagiarism and confirm that this is my own work and I have acknowledged or referenced all sources of information I have used for the purpose of this assessment
Student Signature: Date: / /201
This assessment: First Attempt 0
2nd Attempt 0
Extension 0 – Date: / /
RESULT OF ASSESSMENT Satisfactory 0 Not Yet Satisfactory 0
Feedback to Student:
Assessor(s) Signature(s): Date: / /
Student Signature Date: / /
You are required to complete all questions and tasks for this portfolio. All tasks and exercises are based on the theory content and recipes contained in your workbook/ online unit.
All recipe cards and workflow plan templates will be provided by your teacher where required.
The information you provide in this portfolio may be followed-up with questions from your trainer before the final practical assessment. It is therefore essential that you have sufficient knowledge to explain and substantiate all information you provide in this paper.
Teacher to adjust this assignment according to locality and season:
Location: The physical location of the RTO/workplace
Season: Summer, Winter etc.
Website to explore: e.g. Flemington Markets etc.
1. Access the market information in your state and identify all fruit and vegetables currently in season. Categorise these in the provided tables below:
Root vegetables in season:
Tubers Bulbs Roots
Green vegetables in season:
Flowers Leaves Stems Legumes (seed pods) Fruits
Fruits in season:
Stone Fruit Hard Fruit Soft Fruit Citrus Fruit Tropical Fruit
2. The following table lists 7 methods of cookery. From the fruit and vegetable you listed in question 1, select 2 root vegetables, 2 green vegetables and 3 different fruit.
a. Allocate them so that each cookery method below has 1 vegetable or fruit suitable for cooking with that method.
b. Describe how you would cook each vegetable or fruit using the cookery method you chose.
c. Provide a suitable sauce or accompaniment and appropriate garnish for each dish and brief details for presentation.
Cookery Method Suitable Fruit / Vegetable Cookery Technique Presentation (Sauce / Accompaniment / Garnish)
3. Using the SRC templates, provide the recipes and production methods for dishes using the commodities below. Each recipe must yield 4 portions:
? 1 Risotto
? 1 pasta dish made from fresh paste with sauce
? Pilaf rice
? 2 different types of gnocchi
? 1 dish using Polenta
? 2 different pulses of your choice
4. Provide 2 menu examples for each of the following potato preparation methods:
? Water finished
? Water blanched and fat finished
? Fat blanched and fat finished
? Directly fat finished
Baked Potato Dishes
Example Production Method
Water-Finished Potato Dishes
Water-Blanched and Fat-Finished Potato Dishes
Fat-Blanched and Fat-Finished Potato Dishes
Example Size and Preparation
Directly Fat-Finished Potato Dishes
Example Size and Preparation
5. List 10 culinary uses of eggs and provide an example for each use.
Culinary use of Egg Example
6. What are the essential hygiene requirements which must apply to eggs during storage, preparation and service of egg products to ensure egg safety?
Why is this of particular importance when dealing with elderly, children, pregnant women, small children, babies and people with weak immune systems?
Hygiene requirements to ensure egg safety
Implications for elderly, children, pregnant women, small children, babies and people with weak immune systems
7. Provide an overview of the preparation techniques and a menu example including sauce and accompaniment (where applicable) for each of the following egg dishes:
? Eggs Benedict
? Fried Eggs
? Coddled Eggs
? Egg Dip
? Scrambled Eggs
? Omelette with filling
Dish Preparation Sauce and Accompaniment
Omelette with filling
8. Provide an overview of the nutritional values for eggs, fruit and vegetables including the essential requirements to retain vitamins and minerals during storage, preparation and cooking:
Commodity with examples Nutritional Value
Requirements to retain vitamins and minerals:
9. List the equipment required to prepare each dish listed in Question 7. Explain the WHS points of care, cleaning and sanitation requirements, and preparation for use:
Dish Equipment Points of Care / WHS Assembly
Omelette with filling
Cleaning and Sanitation Requirements:
10. What are the requirements for the safe handling of foods when collecting ingredients, and during preparation, display and storage to meet food safety requirements? Which provisions will ensure food safety at each step?
Food safety requirements Vegetables Fruit Eggs Farinaceous
11. You are working in the entremetier section of a hotel. The section is responsible for the preparation of vegetable, fruit, egg and farinaceous dishes.
a) What is required to ensure a food safe workspace and equipment during preparation and service and at the end of the shift?
b) What does this need to include to prevent wastage of leftovers or by-products from preparation?