CC38 - BIOLOGY - SEMESTER 1
Assignment Name - Unit 1: Using the Scientific Method - Virtual Lab
Unit 1: Using Scientific Method Virtual Lab
This is your first lab report, please pay attention to the instruction below so that you will earn full point credits on the lab assignment.
ALL LABS REQUIRE A COMPLETE AND PROPERLY FORMATTED LAB REPORT; ANY ASSIGNMENT THAT DOES NOT HAVE A LAB REPORT WILL BE GIVEN A FAILING GRADE. A SAMPLE REPORT FORMAT CAN BE FOUND ON THE LINK BELOW.
• Biology Lab Report Outline
• Copied text from the lab report will not be counted toward your word count.
• All attached submissions MUST have a header that includes your name, an example is provided below
Your Name: John DoeDoe
Your Assignment Title: Unit 1: The Scientific Method Virtual Lab
The Clampets Go Bear Hunting
The Clampets are on a bear safari in the pacific northwest. They have killed 5 bears. That evening they ate bear meat to celebrate their successful hunt. They used water from a nearby stream to make their coffee. They return home to brag about the bears they killed. A few weeks later several of the Clampets became sick. They ached all over. At first, they passed it off as the flu. But the symptoms did not go away. Use the scientific method to determine what is making the Clampets sick.
Theory A: Mountain streams sometimes harbor a parasite called Giardia. Many backpackers have become ill with this parasite after drinking spring water.
Hypothesis A: The Clampets used stream water to make their coffee. Giardia from the stream water is the cause of their illness. Stool specimens will have Giardia in them.
The Giardia parasite looks like this under a microscope. This sample was from a stool smear of a patient infected with Giardia.
Theory B: Bears, pigs, and other animals are sometimes infected with the trichina worm. People who eat rare meat that is infected with this worm can get trichinosis.
Hypothesis B: The Clampets did not completely cook their bear meat. One or more bears were infected with trichinosis. Muscle biopsies should show trichina worms in the muscles of the sick Clampets.
The trichinosis worm looks like this under a microscope. This sample was isolated from an animal with trichinosis.
This slide represents the results of a biopsy from Jed Clampet.
Your Lab Assignment
Using the scientific method to determine what is making the Clampets sick, based on the two reasonable hypotheses given and the observations recorded in the slides above. Your answer should be provided in a minimum of 300 words
• Remember to write the following for your lab
Then - Answer any questions or write any essay responses.
Key Points To Remember
1. Unless you are asked for a list, ALL answers to the questions should be written in complete sentences, utilizing proper lesson vocabulary, grammar, and punctuation.
2. If you are asked to draw any images for an assignment, pictures from the internet will not be accepted as a substitute.
3. If you have to complete a virtual lab, all labs require a complete and properly formatted lab report. A link to a sample report can be found in the lesson folder; a second report outline is also located on the lab assignment page.