Student Details ( Student should fill the content)
Student ID Cardiff Met ID : ICBT ID :
Scheduled unit details
Unit code CIS 7026
Unit title Business Process and Data Analysis
Nature of the Assessment Assignment – Individual Report
Topic of the Case Study GIVEN
Learning Outcomes covered YES
Word count 4000 words
Due date / Time 20 September 2022
I certify that the attached material is my original work. No other person’s work or ideas have been used without acknowledgement. Except where I have clearly stated that I have used some of this material elsewhere, I have not presented it for examination / assessment in any other course or unit at this or any other institution
Result (Assessor use only)
Marks by 1st Assessor Name & Signature of the 1st Assessor Agreed Mark
Marks by IV: Name & Signature of the IV
For Office use only (hard copy assignments)
Receipt date Received by
Assignment Type & Title:
For student use: Critical feedback on the individual progression towards achieving the assignment outcomes
For 1st Assessor use: Assessment feedback
Area for improvements
Name & Signature of the Assessor : Date :
Comments by the IV
Name & Signature of the IV: Date :
CIS7026: Business Process and Data Analysis
Weighting of assessment: 100% total marks
Word Limits: 4000 Words
This module is designed to enable the student to develop a critical appreciation of a range of business process and data analysis approaches and to explore key contemporary issues regarding their application in organisations.
Learning outcomes covered
• Critically evaluate, and reflexively apply, methods, techniques and tools for assessing, controlling and improving organisational processes and data;
• Critically demonstrate an appreciation of issues relating to the analysis of business processes and data in Organisations;
• Synthesise information and create appropriate visual representations of their analysis via use of an appropriate tool.
Task 01: Re-engineering of G2B and G2C Government Process(es) as part of the ongoing e-Government thrust in Sri Lanka
In his address at the Global Business Summit (16 December 2020) Hon. Dinesh Gunawardena (Foreign Minister – Sri Lanka) reaffirmed the nation’s thrust for establishing a robust digital government architecture. He pointed out work was already underway to develop the Unique Digital ID relating to biographic and biometric data, the centrepiece of a citizen- centric digital regime, earmarked for completion by mid - 2021. The minister further noted, services covered by e-governance would be in the education, health, transportation, immigration and emigration, registration of persons and companies, motor traffic, income tax and local government sectors. He also underlined that e-governance, e-commerce and e-medicine and such digitalization, would define the ‘New Normal’ in the post COVID-19 global landscape.
Business analysts would agree that Government Process Reengineering will be a central element in implementing most e-government initiatives. As such you are required to fulfil the following task requirements.
1.a) Identify a Government process that facilitates essential G2B or G2C transaction(s)/ service(s) and having the need and an adequate scope for a reengineering project. Justify your selection of this particular Government process. (2 marks)
1.b) Identify key stakeholders in relation to this project and analyse them for their Power/Interest dynamics (2 marks)
1.c) Provide a stakeholder management plan that you developed for one High Power-High Interest stakeholder (6 marks)
1.d) Prepare a comprehensive elicitation plan for capturing process related information. As part of your requirement elicitation activities schedule at least one interview with the process owner (or with a key process participant). Conduct the elicitation activities according to your elicitation plan.
• Provide your elicitation plan (4 marks)
• Include the interview questionnaire that was used for interviewing the process owner (or the key process participant) and reflect on how it was conducted (6 marks)
• Provide evidence [Interview notes/populated mind map] for the conducted elicitation Interview with the process owner (or with a key process participant (4 marks)
1.e) Using the information elicited;
• Produce the ‘as-is process model’ and the ‘process description’ of the existing process (10 marks)
• Produce the ‘to-be process model’ and the ‘process description’ for the (proposed) reengineered process (10 marks)
[for task 1.e process models you can use either Swimlane diagrams or DFDs, and the process descriptions need to be given using Use case descriptions or Structured English]
1.f) Conduct GAP analysis for the two versions (as-is and to-be) of the processes and produce a detail specification for the (proposed) reengineered process [the specification should capture process values, KPIs, symptoms of noncompliance, methods of improvements and any other important details or underlying assumptions] (8 marks)
1.g) With the aid of suitable change management models/ techniques propose how the change management (transition) from the current process to the (to-be) reengineered process could be accomplished successfully. (8 marks)
Task 02: Gaining competitive edge with applied data analytics
2.a) write (separate) essays for the topics listed below:
1. Affinity analysis (Association Rules)
2. Process Mining
3. Social Media Sentiment Analysis
Each essay should cover the following elements:
• Explanation of the underlying technical concepts (3x 2 marks)
• Discussion on potential busines use cases (minimum three) across diverse areas (3x 2 marks)
• Popular industry solutions (or solution providers) available in the market (3x 1 mark)
• Discussion of real-world business use of successful implementations (minimum two) with details on: benefits, costs, ethical & technical limitations, and risks (3x 3 marks)
2.b) choose any single topic from 2.a) and develop a fully functional prototype (using R programming language) as a technical proof of concept to demonstrate the business value of the concept.
Discuss the developed prototype in your report and separately upload the well commented R script file and the used dataset along with your assignment submission. Your discussion should include the following:
Appropriate exploratory data analysis, explanation/interpretation of important code snippets & outputs, appropriate visualisations, and prototype to be related to a specific (potential) business use case.
What to submit
4000 word length detailed report consisting of each of the above tasks, and a CD containing relevant well commented R Script for Task 2.b along with the used dataset.
You must use Harvard Referencing system throughout your work. Correct in-text referencing is required and a full and correct reference list needs to be provided. Please note for academic acceptance, it is important to refer to adequate sources in building critical arguments with regard to this assignment. Generally, the lecturer expects minimum of 20 latest sources from accepted recommended journals, required reading and recommended readings. For a list of required and recommended reading, please refer the “Module Specification” section of the student handbook.
Task Indicative Marking Criteria Marks Breakdown Total Marks Available on Task
1.a • Selection of process with adequate scope for reengineering and the associated justification
1.b • Power/Interest grid with all sections of stakeholders
1.c • Stakeholder management plan for one High Power-High Interest stakeholder
1.d • Elicitation plan with information, source, method and sequence
• The Interview questionnaire & Reflection
• Interview notes/populated mind map
1.e • Current Process – Process model using Swimlane diagram/DFD
• Current Process – Process description in Use case description/ Structured English
• Proposed reengineered Process - Process model using Swimlane diagram/DFD
• Proposed reengineered Process - Process description in Use case description/ Structured English
1.f • ‘Gap Analysis’ between the as-is and to-be processes
A detail specification for the (proposed) reengineered process
1.g • An appropriate approach to organizational level change management discussed
• An appropriate approach to individual (people) level change management discussed
• An appropriate approach to System Changeover discussed
Attention: For Task 2.b you need to provide evidence through well commented code snippets, results/output, visualizations accompanied with your interpretation/discussion as appropriate in the “assignment report” itself
2.a Essays: - AR PM SA
• Explanation of the underlying technical concepts
• Discussion on potential busines use cases (minimum three) across diverse areas
• Popular industry solutions (or solution providers) available in the market
• Discussion of real-world business use of successful implementations (minimum two) with details on: benefits, costs, ethical & technical limitations, and risks
AR-Association Rules, PM- Process Mining, SA-Social Media Sentiment Analysis 02
2.b • Appropriate exploratory data analysis
• Explanation/interpretation of important code snippets & outputs
• Appropriate visualisations and their interpretation
• The prototype was related to a specific (potential) business use case.
Total Marks Available 100
? Paper Size : A4
? Word Count : 4000 words
? Printing Margins : LHS; RHS: 1 Inch
? Binding Margin : ½ Inch
? Header and Footer : 1 Inch
? Printing : Single Sided
? Basic Font Size : 12
? Font Style : Arial/Times New Roman
? Presentation : Bound Document
Important Information for Students
• The final version of your individual assignment softcopy needs to be uploaded to the Turnitin via Cardiff Met Moodle before the deadline.
For TURNITIN submission please log on to www.cardiffmet.ac.uk and submit through the Moodle.
• The final version of your individual assignment soft copy (word format only) must be uploaded to ICBT SIS on or before the deadline.
Please log on to www.icbtsis.lk to upload your assignment.
The softcopy should be named as MBA-(subject number) (followed by the Cardiff met student ID.
E.g. for Delivering Successful Projects Assignment
? Students are expected to keep a backup of all the assignments. ICBT and Cardiff Metropolitan University have all the right to re call for soft copy of any assignment at any time during the course.
? Please note that plagiarism is treated as a serious offence and therefore the work you produce must be individual and original although may work in groups in some instances (Please refer to Student Handbook on Plagiarism & Cheating).
? All sources of information must be referenced using “Harvard referencing” where a reference listing should be included at the end of the assignment.
? Please note that the submission date given for this assignment is the final date that you can upload the assignment. No late submissions are allowed by the system.
? Please refer to Student Handbook on Assignments – Re-submission, mitigating circumstances procedure.
? Please include the assignment coversheet and feedback sheet in your softcopy of the assignment. Please avoid copying assignment question in your answer file.
? The submission instructions of Turnitin and ICBT SIS will be circulated a few weeks before the submission deadline.