Assessment Tasks and Instructions
Course and Code
Unit(s) of Competency and Code(s) SITHCCC005 Prepare dishes using basic methods of cookery
Assessment for this Unit of Competency/Cluster Details
Assessment 1 Assignment
Assessment 2 Practical Observation
Assessment conducted in this instance: Assessment 1 1 2 0 3 0
1. Has reasonable adjustment been applied to this assessment?
No 0 No further information required
Yes 0 Complete 2.
2. Provide details for the requirements and provisions for adjustment of assessment:
Student to complete
My assessor has discussed the adjustments with me
I agree to the adjustments applied to this assessment
2nd Assessor to complete
I agree the adjustments applied to this assessment are reasonable
What will be assessed
The purpose of this assessment is to assess your knowledge required to complete the tasks outlined in elements and performance criteria of this unit:
• major food types and their characteristics:
o dairy products
o dry goods
o frozen goods
o general food items:
? condiments and flavourings
• how the major food types are used in different dishes and the effects on them of the different cookery methods listed in the performance evidence
• meaning and role of mise en place in the process of preparing, cooking and presenting food
• essential culinary terms in, and key principles and practices of, the cookery methods described in the performance evidence
• contents of stock date codes and rotation labels
• safe operational practices using essential functions and features of equipment used in the above cookery methods.
Place/Location where assessment will be conducted
RTO to complete
Pen, paper, calculator
Instructions for assessment including WHS requirements
You are required to address each question in this assessment.
Once you have completed all questions, check all responses and calculations.
Your trainer will be providing you with feedback.
Statement of Authenticity
I acknowledge that I understand the requirements to complete the assessment tasks
The assessment process including the provisions for re-submitting and academic appeals were explained to me and I understand these processes
I understand the consequences of plagiarism and confirm that this is my own work and I have acknowledged or referenced all sources of information I have used for the purpose of this assessment
Student Signature: Date: / /201
This assessment: First Attempt 0
2nd Attempt 0
Extension 0 – Date: / /
RESULT OF ASSESSMENT Satisfactory 0 Not Yet Satisfactory 0
Feedback to Student:
Assessor(s) Signature(s): Date: / /
Student Signature Date: / /
Answer all questions below. Each question must be addressed to demonstrate competence.
1. Provide 6 examples of how you would identify the required food quantities to be prepared to enable you to select ingredients and prepare your mise en place for the shift.
2. You have identified the food requirements for the dishes you have to prepare for service. List 3 details you must check when collecting these from storage areas or upon delivery from stores to ensure quality and freshness and prevent spoilage:
Details to be checked
3. Complete the following table relating to the common methods of cookery, providing details for:
? The definition and principles
? a menu example for each method of cookery using protein or dairy as a main ingredient
? a menu example for each method of cookery using vegetables, farinaceous or fruit as a main ingredient
Method of Cookery Definition Menu example Meat or dairy product Menu example vegetable or farinaceous product
Shallow-frying, sautéing and stir-frying
4. Choose 4 methods of cookery and list the suitable equipment that is used for these (no repetitions)
Method of cookery Equipment used
5. List 5 safety aspects which must be considered for each to prevent injuries when using equipment:
6. What are the cleaning requirements and considerations for equipment maintenance to ensure efficiency during service? What should you inspect when assembling equipment?
Cleaning requirements, maintenance, and inspection for assembly of equipment
7. What are the scales of doneness and temperatures which apply for meat? What are the critical aspects that need to be considered when cooking pork and poultry products, as well as cooking times based on weight and type of meats?
English term French term Internal Temperature
8. How does the location of muscle in an animal affect your choice of cookery method for the preparation of a dish? How does this affect economic aspects in commercial cookery?
The effect of location of muscle in an animal on preparation and cookery method used
9. What is the meaning of cold water start and hot water start when applied to vegetables? Provide examples and reasons.
Cold water start Hot water start (blanching)
10. Provide 5 aspects which should be applied to ensure even cooking when using a microwave oven.
Provisions for microwave cookery
11. What is the correct procedure for preparing and cooking pulses?
12. Why is teamwork important in a commercial kitchen? Provide examples for typical communication requirements to ensure efficient preparation, cooking and service of food items:
Importance of teamwork
Examples for communication requirements
13. Lunch service has concluded. You have various foods in left your mise en place and your workstation needs to be cleaned for the next shift. List the processes required to store left-over foods correctly and the requirements to clean and sanitise your section to meet food safety standards.
Food Safe Storage requirements Cleaning and Sanitation Specific areas and equipment that need to be cleaned
The recipe below yields 3 portions. Calculate the required ingredients to yield 18 portions and enter the results in the grey marked fields:
Standard Recipe Card
Name of dish: Tandoori Chicken Portions: 3
Commodities 3 Portions 18 Portions
Item Specification Weight kg/l/Unit Weight kg/l/Unit
Chicken Breast 0.240 kg kg
Tandoori Paste 0.010 kg kg
Yoghurt 0.090 kg kg
Mesclun Lettuce 0.030 kg kg
Cucumber Telegraph 0.250 ea ea
Tomatoes Grape 0.500 pun pun
Pooris 6.000 ea ea
Coriander Fresh 0.125 bch bch
Lemon 0.500 ea ea
Accompaniments 2.000 ea ea