Assessment Details and Submission Guidelines
Trimester T1 2022
Unit Code HC3131
Unit Title Integrated Research Project
Assessment Type 5. Final Report including Revised Lit. Rev., Research Design and Methodology
Assessment Title Final Report
Purpose of the assessment (with ULO Mapping) The purpose of this assessment is to ensure each student is able to construct a written report demonstrating their understanding of the business research paradigm, appropriate methodology, and required (preliminary) data collection, analysis and interpretation.
Matches to Unit Learning Outcomes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6,
Weight 50 % of the total assessments
Total Marks 50
Word limit Min 25 pages (7500 words excluding references) Includes Topic definition and Motivation ( Ass 1), Final Lit Rev (Ass 2), Research Design and initial findings
Due Date Friday of Week 14
Submission Guidelines • All work must be submitted on Blackboard by 12 midnight on the due date, along with a completed Assignment Cover Page. [if no cover page your mark will be reduced -20%]
• The assignment must be in MS Word format, 1.5 spacing, 12-pt Arial font and 2 cm margins on all four sides of your page with appropriate section headings, paragraphing, and page numbers.
• Reference sources must be cited in the text of the report, and listed appropriately at the end in a reference list, all using Harvard referencing style.
Assignment 5 Specifications
This unit aims to give you an opportunity to combine many skills into the production of a high-quality research report.
Assignment 5 (Revised purpose, Revised Lit. Rev., the Research Design and Methodology, Preliminary findings--- the Final Report) demonstrates an understanding of the business research paradigm, appropriate methodology, data collection, analysis and interpretation.
This assessment builds upon your original topic selection and your Literature Review (assessments 1 &2) in that you are now aware of what additional data is needed for you to answer your research question(s) (as defined at the conclusion of your Lit. Rev.).
To discover the required data may require you to search for additional secondary data in the form of more specific searches, and will most probably also require the collection of some preliminary primary data, by applying qualitative or quantitative methods.
In this assessment you will document the most appropriate way forward by generating a comprehensive Research Design. Your design needs to establish your research strategy and SAMPLING issues practically. What specific types of organisations are you interested in, in what locations and who are you targeting (Your level of analysis).
If you choose a quantitative approach, you will go ahead and state how you intend to study your question, what data you need, how it can be collected and analysed. [Note that you are NOT required to actually obtain all the primary data]. Collect some exploratory data and discuss this critically.
If you choose a qualitative approach, you will go ahead and decide which method is appropriate and state how you would collect and interpret your data. Again present some initial data e.g .in-depth interviews or focus group interviews.
Your tutor will LEAD and FACILITATE you through the process, week by week. The learning will be progressive, so for best results you will need to be in weekly contact with your lecturer in the weekly classes
Assignment Structure should be as the following:
1. Introduction (an edited and adjusted version of your topic approval) including a justification for your research question(s). 1- 1.5 pages
2. Final Lit Review 15 pages ending in your specific research question
3. A detailed research design, addressing the qualitative-quantitative debate, additional secondary data ( further detailed findings in your specific question), proposed primary data sample size and comprehensive sampling approach, questionnaire design factors (include some sample questions), data collection method, envisaged analysis and interpretation.
4. A summary of your initial exploratory findings
5. A conclusion (relating back to your original research problem and question(s))
6. List of references in the reviised Harvard style (only for sources mentioned in this submission)
Note: Approval may be requested (Unit Coordinator and Degree Convenor) to undertake this assignment with variation, such as a Business Plan or Business Development Case. If that is approved the Assignment Structure and Marking Criteria may differ accordingly.