Assessment tool # and title 2: Project
Assessment type (?):
? Questioning (oral/written)
? Practical Demonstration
? 3rd Party Report
? Other (please specify)
• This assessment will be conducted at scheduled session in NMT Classroom to Construct Co – Simulated Work Place classroom. For details please refer to the Learning and Assessment Plan.
• The Assessment will be compiled in and outside of the classroom.
• In this assessment you will research and compile a report on a proposed Community Buildings project.
• Attached are preliminary details of a proposed Community Buildings project.
• You are to assess the requirements of all stakeholders and develop a comprehensive proposal supported with justification and detailed design scheme for your recommendations to the client (the Lecturer).
• In the process you are to complete all activities below and submit the resulting report with a standard cover sheet attached, to your lecturer during the class on the due date. You also have to present your work to the client (the Lecturer) as scheduled in the Learning and Assessment Plan.
• Written work is to be typed with font size of 12, line spacing 1.15 and between 1500 to 2000 words. Include references or brochures on suitable products/finishes to support the choices you recommend.
• All workings leading to the solution must be shown to demonstrate the acquired skills and knowledge in order to achieve a satisfactory result. Simply giving your answer from calculator will not be accepted.
• In order to achieve the competence of this Assessment, the student must demonstrate the acquired skills and knowledge in the review sessions that may in the format of question and answer or quest.
• To submit the Assessment to your lecturer during the class on the due date with a standard cover sheet – Assessment Submission & Feedback sheet attached.
• You have 10 to 15 minutes presentation to the Client who is represented by the lecturer and the Assessment is assessed on the technical contents of the presentation and the report.
This task concentrates on the OH&S and environmental constraints to the design and build Community Buildings project. Compile a report which:-
1. Contains an introduction covering the location and the aim of the project.
2. Lists at least one of the following concerning the OH&S and environmental constraints to the design and construction this project.
a. Relevant Australian codes
b. Relevant Australian standards and
c. Relevant Australian regulations
Select one from each of the above and briefly describes the requirements they cover with reference to the proposed project.
This task concentrates on the choice of structural systems for the design and build project and prepare a detailed design scheme based on your recommendations to the client (the Lecturer).
The following is the client brief.
1. The three-building block shown in the architectural plan is situated in the commercial zone of a coastal town in southern Western Australia.
2. The ground floor is allocated for retail businesses. The usage of upper levels in each building is as shown in section 1.
3. Flooring finishes of 1.3 kPa are used at all levels except roofs on which 1.7 kPa is used and the storage area in Building C which is left uncovered with a smooth concrete finish. Staircases are separate structures connected to the buildings with dowelled expansion joints.
4. Imposed loads are to be as recommended in AS 1170.1:2002.
5. The block is built on undisturbed sand of 225 kPa allowable bearing capacity.
6. Architectural plans show that outer columns and beams are exposed.
- Exterior walls are 270 mm cavity walls with standard bricks.
- All brick interior walls are single-leaf standard brick walls and located on beams. An interior beam located above a wall should be at least 200 mm wide.
- Other partitions are flexible light partitions.
- The roofs of Building B and C are accessible for resident activities.
- Level 1 of Building A is an open office area and its roof is not accessible.
- Level 1 of Building C is a general storage area for businesses and residents of the block.
- Level 2 of every building and Level 1 of Building B are a residential unit.
- Ground Level of every building is for commercial shops and its slab is on grade.
Maximum Sizes of Structural Elements:
Columns 350 mm square
Size of Beams in Number Grid 300 x 350 mm deep
Size of Beams in Letter Grid 250 x 300 mm deep
Thickness of roof slab 100 mm thick
Thickness of other slabs 150 mm thick
Depth of Footing 300 mm deep
1. To design beams, slabs, columns and footings for either Building A, B or C as required.
2. To provide detailed construction drawings for the execution of the proposed work.
– The End –